International training “UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities”
As part of the project “Alleviation of COVID-19 Effects and Consequences on the most Vulnerable in Society with a Special Focus on Older People (ACCOP)”, on November 8 and 9 2023, an international training was organised by the Red Cross of Serbia on the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The training was held by Ljupka Mihajlovska from the Accessibility Council of Serbia. The training was attended by 21 people, and those present were greeted by Manuel Aigner, attaché of the Federal Ministry for Social Security, Health and Consumer Protection, and Nataša Todorović from the Red Cross of Serbia.
The goals of the training were:
- To understand why there is a UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) and how it relates to other human rights instruments
- To learn about the drafting process of the UNCRPD and the involvement of Civil Society Organizations (CSO) in this process
- To get familiar with the structure and content of the Convention particularly with articles and measures relating to violence and violence prevention
- To learn about recommendations provided to the member states of Austria, Georgia and North Macedonia
- To engage in a practical discussion on experiences with discrimination of people with disabilities and further challenges pertaining to working with people with disabilities in participants’ organizations